Gordon Brown calls on G7 to share millions of unused coronavirus vaccines

0
Gordon Brown calls on G7 to share millions of unused coronavirus vaccines
Gordon Brown calls on G7 to share millions of unused coronavirus vaccines Credit: Pixabay

Gordon Brown calls on G7 to share millions of unused coronavirus vaccines with the developing world.

Gordon Brown, the former Prime Minister has called on Boris Johnson to call an emergency summit of the G7. He believes that a summit should be called in order to agree on how to supply the developing world with coronavirus vaccines.

Speaking of the gap between the number of vaccines available in rich and poor countries, Mr Brown said that it is “a moral failure on the part of the whole of the world”.

-- ADVERTISEMENT --

Brown believes that the G7 failed at June’s Cornwall summit to deliver on Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s pledge of vaccinating the world by the middle of next year.

Brown told Trevor Phillips on Sky News that: “Seventy per cent of the West has been vaccinated, only 2 per cent in Africa and in all the other low-income countries of the world – so 98 per cent are unprotected,”

“It’s bad for us, because the disease will come back to haunt us from Africa and hurt even the fully-vaccinated here with new variants.


“There are hundreds of millions of unused vaccines that are either stored or are on order for delivery to Europe and America, including the United Kingdom – 300 million by the end of this month, 500 million by the end of October, a billion by the end of December.

“These vaccines could save thousands of lives in Africa. No issue could save more lives than a policy decision by the richest countries that these surplus unused stockpiled stocks would actually go to the poorest of countries who desperately need them to protect even their nurses and their health workers, who remain unvaccinated against this disease.”


Thank you for reading, and don’t forget to check The Euro Weekly News for all your up-to-date local and international news stories.


 

Alex Glenn is a reporter for Spain’s largest English-speaking newspaper, Euro Weekly News. Formerly she worked in the NHS for 15 years until relocating to Spain in 2018. She loves the Spanish lifestyle, language and culture and spent several years learning Spanish before moving to Spain for a better quality of life. She has made her home in the mountains in Almeria, where she loves being part of a rural community that has a mix of both expats and Spanish residents. In her spare time, she enjoys hiking, reading and exploring the area where she lives.

LEAVE A COMMENT

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here