Teachers X Publica (DxP) have called for an immediate teachers’ strike starting with effect on September 15, 2020.
THE purpose of the strike is to request an increase in safety measures in educational environments across Andalucia.
In correspondence received by parents from the Junta de Andalucia on Friday September 11, 2020, the strike is considered necessary to ensure the safety of both staff and students.
As agreed by a union assembly, the action is to ensure that teachers do not have to take unnecessary risks at being exposed to Covid-19 without an effective vaccine or treatment process being available. The teachers’ union has stated that teachers do not wish to potentially and unwittingly bring the virus back to their home and loved ones.
The union is requesting support in this measure from all teachers, stating, “this massive strike, starting in the first five days, is to protest against the impossibility of being able to maintain the 1.5m social distancing in the classroom, social distancing being the one and only proven and effective method so far to stop the virus.”
The strike is being called to take effect for all non-university public education centres in the Junta de Andalucia and is being called to occur between September 15, 2020, at midnight until October 16, 2020 at midnight.
The desired result of the strike is to ensure that procedures are in place including:
- A reduction in the ratio of pupil to teaching staff until they can ensure that social distancing can be maintained
- Ensuring that the adequate and appropriate sanitisation of the educational environment is undertaken regularly
- A blended learning process moving forward for all learners aged 14 and above for the foreseeable future
- Opportunities for high risk staff to have modifications put in place to ensure their health and safety
- Opportunities for home study for students where able and appropriate
- Providing a clear protocol and providing the necessary means to be able to allow students and teachers to telecommunicate when required
- Postponement of the start of the school year until the Minister for Education can ensure that health and safety measures are able to be maintained.
Despite the calls, the Junta de Andalucia has stated that, although the teachers have a constitutional right to strike, the Junta are following all appropriate guidelines and make all the necessary guarantees to ensure the safety of staff and students in their educational establishments.
Thank you for reading this Breaking News story ‘Breaking News – Teachers X Publica (DxP) have called for an immediate teachers strike.’ For more Breaking News from Home and Abroad, visit the Euro Weekly News website.