The Premier League can resume in June as long as safety is guaranteed, says the government

0
english news premier league

Government ministers have cleared the way for Premier League action to begin again in June following the coronavirus shutdown of sport – but only if authorities are able to guarantee the safety of players, coaches and staff.

ALL football in the UK has been postponed since March 13 due to the ongoing pandemic that has claimed more than 31,000 lives in this country so far.

-- Advertisement --

However, after a round of meetings with Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Oliver Dowden, the footballing authorities can now push ahead with plans for Project Restart – while games may also be televised for free as part of the resumption.

Dowden said: “Today’s positive meeting I hosted with the football authorities progressed plans for the resumption of the professional game in England.

“We all agreed that we will only go ahead if it is safe to do so and the health and welfare of players, coaches and staff comes first.


“The government is opening the door for competitive football to return safely in June.

“This should include widening access for fans to view live coverage and ensure finances from the game’s resumption supports the wider football family.


“It is now up to the football authorities to agree and finalise the detail of their plans, and there is combined goodwill to achieve this for their fans, the football community and the nation as a whole.

“The government and our medical experts will continue to offer guidance and support to the game ahead of any final decision which would put these plans into action.”




LEAVE A COMMENT

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here