A smoker accidentally blew up his car when he lit a cigarette after spraying the interior with air freshener.
Witnesses said they heard an “enormous bang” when the car and nearby buildings were rocked by the explosion. The blast was so strong it shattered the Seat’s windows and caused parts of the car, including a door and the boot, to buckle. Windows at nearby businesses in a busy street in Halifax, West Yorkshire, were also blown out. Police said the man sprayed air freshener inside the parked car, but when he lit the cigarette the fumes and the aerosol cannister exploded. After the blast, the driver managed to climb out of the battered car on his own. Paramedics treated him at the scene as the street was sealed off for an investigation.
A witness wrote on Twitter: “A car explosion in Halifax Town Centre. What an enormous bang. “I was in an adjacent bar. Emergency services on scene in moments. “Unbelievably the driver just climbed out. Thankfully there appears to be no injuries.” Another witness added: “A car has literally just exploded outside my flat, the entire room shook windows rattling absolutely madness!”
Police warned motorists of the dangers of aerosol cans and open flames, saying the outcome could have been worse for the man. The street in Halifax town centre was closed while fire crews attended the scene. A spokesperson for West Yorkshire Police said: “Shortly after 3pm [Saturday] afternoon, Fountain St, Halifax, had to be closed due to an exploded aerosol can.