A HOT Spanish day, what can be better than a nice cooling dip in the pool or sea. Great, but it is important to follow the rules and stay healthy and safe:
- Swim in designated areas, supervised by lifeguards and obey the warning signs and flags, that indicate where and whether it is safe to swim, particularly when swimming in the sea.
- Stay out of the water when you are very tired, very cold, or overheated
- Always swim with someone else nearby; never alone.
- Never leave a young child unattended near water and do not trust a child’s life to another child;
- Have young children or inexperienced swimmers wear a life vest around water.
- Maintain constant supervision of both children and adult swimmers.
- Make sure everyone in your family learns to swim well. Courses are fun, inexpensive and could save a life.
- If you have a pool, secure it with appropriate barriers. Many children who drown in home pools were out of sight for less than five minutes and in the care of one or both parents at the time.
- Swim a safe distance away from diving boards and slides. Never swim under them.
- If a child is missing, check the water first. Seconds count in cases of drowning.
- Have appropriate equipment, such as reaching or throwing equipment, a mobile phone, life jackets and a first aid kit to hand.
- Know how and when to call the emergency services on 112, remember that they will have English speaking operators available. Stay calm and clearly give the operator the address and describe what the emergency is.
- Protect your skin. Limit the amount of direct sunlight you receive particularly in the heat of the day and always wear a waterproof sunscreen with a protection factor of at least 30, remember that although the water may feel cool, you can still get sunburn whilst swimming.
- Drink plenty of water regularly, even if you’re not thirsty.
- Avoid drinks with alcohol or caffeine in them and never swim when drunk or under the influence of drugs.
Swimming is a great exercise, good for cooling you down and can be good, old fashioned fun. Just stick to the rules and enjoy it.