ASIDE from the significant cost to humans in the aftermath of the floods which devastated Malaga province at the weekend, a number of local animal shelters were also affected, with several dramatic rescues performed.
In Mijas, the Proteccion de Animales Domesticos (PAD) and Aristochat centres were inundated when the local river burst its banks, with both left in ruins.
All cats and dogs had to be evacuated by staff, who were aided by a number of volunteers and other citizens who offered to foster animals until the facilities are operational.
Euro Weekly News spoke to Lisa Emeny, who works at PAD, and she was quick to praise the “unbelievable” response after the shelter posted an appeal for help on Facebook.
This was shared more than 22,000 times in just a single hour in an amazing display of compassion and the power of social media.
“We arrived at 8.30am on Sunday [December 4], when the water was ankle deep, but by 9am it was up to our shoulders,” she said. “We managed to carry the smaller dogs out but the bigger ones had to swim.
“The cleanup operation is under way and we hope to have the animals back in place by the end of the week.”
Groups of volunteers were busy at the shelter on Tuesday, December 6, as the recovery began in earnest, with others bringing food and drinks for those on the job.
“What we desperately need now is donations into the bank to buy food, blankets, bedding and cleaning materials, since everything was destroyed,” added Lisa.
Elsewhere, the Galgos en Familia greyhound shelter in Alhaurin de la Torre was also wrecked by the floods, leading to a series of striking images depicting volunteers carrying dogs in their arms, or leading them through the water in inflatable dinghies.
All three shelters are desperately in need of funds in order to rebuild, and a number of collection points have been set up across the province for those wishing to contribute, a list of which is reproduced below.
Dropoff and collection points:
• Clínica Veterinaria Benahavis. Avenida de la Moraleda. Local 7 (Centro veterinario de Benahavis). Dropoffs accepted during the morning.
• Protectora de Animales y Plantas de Málaga – Camino de las Erizas, 4 29010, Málaga.
• Tiendanimal (CC Malaga Nostrum) In front of Bauhaus and next to Factory Outlet Málaga, Calle Palencia, 5, 29004 Málaga.
• Clínica Dental Molar. Edificio Multicentro, 42. Cerrado de Calderón (Málaga). Monday and Wednesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
• Colegio Virgen de la Peña. Las Lagunas. Open 7.30am to 7pm.
• Patitas en Acción Málaga. Donations accepted by telephone 24 hours. Whatsapp 615 12 05 37.
• Copitinos Imprimart, Av. de José Ribera, 3, 29010 Teatinos, Málaga. Open 10am-2pm, and 5.30-7pm.
• Tienda Zoo Rosaleda, Avenida de la Rosaleda. From 10am-2pm and 5-8.30pm. Contact via their Facebook page.
• Papeleria Plumier, Avd. Atabal, 3, local 2 (near Teatinos y Puerto de la torre), Malaga.
• Carlinda, in Bar Juan y Pepe, next to the bazaar which occupies the old Unicaja bank, Malaga.
•Masajes : Fisioterapia. Terapia C/ Camino San Rafael. N°, 9am-10pm, Málaga.
• Centro Veterinario GMC Vet Group, based in Animálaga, from 10am-2pm and y 5.30-8.30pm. Contact [email protected]
•Quecuqui, La Unión, 75, 29006 Málaga.
• Andalucía. Herboristería Madreselva . Until 2pm and from 5-8.30 pm.
• APACET Torremolinos and Podencos y Mas, Avenida Joan Miró, based in Podemos. Near the Vetersalud clinic of Dr. Moya. Zona El Calvario, Torremolinos. From 5-10pm.
• ‘Adopta un Compañero’ [Adopt a Companion] event. Plaza España auditorium, Torremolinos ,10am-6pm on Saturday December 10.
ALHAURIN DE LA TORRE:
• Ferropet from 9.40am-1.30pm and 5-8opm, Alhaurín de la Torre.
• APACET Torremolinos y Podencos y Mas Alhaurín de la Torre, C/El Silo numero 27 in Barriada El Peñón. From 11am-2.30pm.
•Tienda de Calzados, C/San Juan local 3 Alhaurin de la Torre.
• Manpasur, Alhaurín de la Torre. Commercial hours.
• Patripet, Avda. del Tivoli, Calle Monticulo n. 1, Benalmádena. Commercial hours.
•Animal Friend, C/ Camino Viejo Velez n° 12. Commercial hours.
• Masajes Silvia, Pasaje Juan Sebastián el Cano, local n°3. Commercial hours.
• Modas Felisa, C/ Rediñero n° 4. Commercial hours.
• Fernández Olmo, C/ Camino de Málaga n° 38. Commercial hours.
• Estanco ,C/ Rediñero n° 5. Commercial hours.
RINCON DE LA VICTORIA:
• GYM Rincón Fitness. Calle Sierra de las Nieves N° 8. Commercial hours.
• Clínica veterinaria La Favorita, Marbella, Crta Cadiz km 189, Conjunto Urb. Jardín de Los Pinos s/n, local 9-10, 29604.
• Clínica Veterinaria la Favorita, Centro de Negocios Puerta de Banus, local 19, 29660, Marbella.
SAN PEDRO DE ALCANTARA:
• La Boutique del Ganadero, Calle Bahia 24, San Pedro de Alcántara. Commercial hours.
• Teete Ledesma y Omaima SouSou , 633 651 995 / 605 395 966. Home collections.