In their one-sided 5-0 win over San Marino, England, with 94% of the play, won 20 corners (to nil) and had 31 attempts at goal, 12 on target. Redundant ‘keeper Joe Hart touched the ball SIX times.
LAST weekend’s World Cup 2014 qualifiers saw England labour to a 5-0 win over the joint worst team in the world, San Marino, in front of 85,654 fans at Wembley.
Captain Wayne Rooney struck twice to become England’s fifth highest scorer of all-time with 31 goals, moving ahead of Alan Shearer, Nat Lofthouse and Tom Finney.
-- Advertisement --
Elsewhere, Wales, with two Gareth Bale strikes (his second a real beauty), beat Scotland 2-1… Germany smashed the Republic of Ireland 6-1… and Pedro netted a hat-trick in Spain’s 4-0 win in Belarus.
Over the last 48 hours there have been more 2014 Brazil WC qualifiers including Poland-England, Spain-France, Belarus-Scotland, Croatia -Wales and the Faroe Islands-Republic of Ireland.
Meanwhile, England’s U21s top their qualifying Euro 2013 group after beating Serbia 1-0 with a penalty by WBA’s Craig Dawson. Premiership games this weekend include Sunder-land v Newcastle and Spurs v Chelsea.
And there’s to be the biggest enquiry ever into police handling of the 1989 Hillsborough disaster.
• F1 – Last Sunday’s Korean GP was won by Sebastian Vettel, his fourth victory of 2012. Red Bull colleague Mark Webber was second with Fernando Alonso third. After his Asian hat-trick, Vettel now leads Alonso by six points in the driver’s championship with four races left. And it looks like Sergio Perez (not Di Resta) will replace Lewis Hamilton at McLaren next year.
• MOTOGP – It was a Spanish 1-2-3 in Japan last Sunday as Dani Pedrosa beat Jorge Lorenzo (second) and Alvaro Bautista (third). Lorenzo leads Pedrosa by 28 points in the rider’s championship.
• CYCLING – Six former team-mates of disgraced seven-time Tour of France winner Lance Armstrong have been handed six-month doping bans by the US Anti-Doping Agency. Armstrong, described as a ‘serial drugs cheat’ has been banned for life. GB’s Bradley Wiggins said: “I’m shocked at the scale of the evidence which has been revealed against Armstrong.”
• TENNIS – Andy Murray lost his Shanghai Masters title, beaten in three sets by Novak Djokovic. In the semis, the Scot k’od 17-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer who earlier had sealed a record 300th week as the world’s number one player. And Heather Watson became the first Brit to win a WTA title since 1988 beating Chang Kai-chen in the Japan Open.
• GOLF – Justin Rose, who defeated Tiger Woods, edged out fellow Ryder Cup colleague Lee Westwood by one stroke to win the all-British final of the inaugural World Golf tournament in Turkey.
• RUGBY UNION – Early results in the Heineken Cup saw wins for the holders Leinster (9-6 v Exeter), Harlequins 40-13 (v Biarritz), Saracens (45-0 in Edinburgh), Ospreys (38-17 v Treviso), Ulster 41-17 v Castres), Sale (34-33 v Cardiff Blues), Northampton 24-15 v Glasgow) and Toulouse (23-9 v Leicester),
• SNOOKER – Stephen Lee has been suspended by the sport’s governing body who are investigating betting irregularities in a recent game against John Higgins.
• BOXING – David Price retained his British and Commonwealth heavy-weight titles by knocking out Audley Harrison in just 82 seconds.
• DIVING – Tom Daley won two gold medals at the recent Junior World Diving Championships in Australia.
BRITONS are set to get a taste, feel and touch of Mallorca, thanks to an exciting promotional campaign in London next month.
Catalina Cladera, President of the Council of Mallorca and Andres Serra, Councillor for...
THE National Police have arrested a man on suspicion of committing a string of break-ins at shops in Palma.
Following multiple complaints from store owners in the capital, agents from the Robbery Group initiated an investigation....
TRAGIC news dominated the Challenge Peguera-Mallorca triathlon, with the death of a 45-year-old British man.
The incident occurred about 600 meters from the shore of La Torà beach around 10am on Saturday October 19. Lifeguards brought the man back to the...