A FIRE broke out at Hotel Terraza Carmona in Vera at around 3am last Saturday during a wedding reception.
The flames forced hotel clients, workers and neighbours to evacuate the building and surrounding homes. The fire spread over 2,500 metres, severely damaging the building as well as the furniture inside. However, no one was hurt during the blaze. None of the surrounding buildings were touched and the neighbours were able to return to their homes after the fire was brought under control.
An eyewitness reported noticing smoke in the upper floor of the building, apparently coming from a stage where a band had been playing during the wedding party. Just 45 minutes later the flames were out of control, and the building was being evacuated. Witnesses suspect that the lighting or amplification wiring short-circuited causing it to catch alight.