Boy loses a hand when firecracker explodes in Spain

FIRECRACKER: Exploded in hand (file photograph) FIRECRACKER: Exploded in hand (file photograph) Shutterstock

A THIRTEEN-YEAR-OLD boy has lost a hand after a firecracker exploded while he was handling it.

The accident happened in the city of Jaen in Andalucia, southern Spain on Christmas Eve.

A witness to the incident alerted the emergency services but, before they arrived, the boy was transferred to hospital by his family.

After undergoing emergency surgery doctors had to amputate the left hand due to the severity of the injury.

He also suffered injuries to his chest and eyes.

The boy is in a stable condition and recovering in the Hospital Materno-Infantil in Jaen.

Karl Smallman

Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page.

Poll of the Week

Following recent parliamentary debates, should Spain decriminalise insulting the crown?

New online edition graphic

Create Spain Alert

Do you want to be the first to receive our latest news from Spain? Subscribe here.