A FRAUDSTER has been jailed for five-and-a-half years after many of her Costa Blanca victims lost their life savings in a €2million scam.
Caryn Bates, aged 41 and her half brother, Matthew Sullivan, aged 53, who was given seven years, have been sentenced at Maidstone Crown Court, Kent, UK. They conned their friends in both the UK and the Costa Blanca into handing over thousands of pounds to their bogus company World Trading, promising high returns on their investments.
One such investor was Peter Harding. He met Caryn in 2005 when she was his neighbour in Aspe. A former bank manager, Bates spoke with Peter about a ‘fantastic investment scheme’ using the currency market. Peter said: “I made an investment and got 2.5-3 per cent back as she said I would, so I never once thought it was a scam.” Bates later left Aspe and moved to Catral.
In the course of the next five years Peter believes he invested around €140,000 including his mother’s inheritance. However, whilst on holiday in Canada and trying to release funds, concerns began to arise: “They left me high and dry and that is when I knew something was wrong.”
Posting a simple message on a local web forum prompted a flood of enquiries from other investors in the Costa Blanca and UK which led to a UK police enquiry by the serious fraud unit. It is thought they scammed more than 40 people.
As she starts her prison sentence Peter and other investors are unsure if they will ever see any of their money again: “I can’t believe how gullible I was: I classed her as friend.”
LATEST READER COMMENTS
- Shocking Video of a schoolgirl getting beaten up goes viral (Spain) Roy Peters say: Its about time the authorities started dishing out stiff punishments for this sort of thing.… on Thursday, 06 March 2014 16:51
- Russian president Vladimir Putin has finally spoken about the situation brewing in Ukraine (International) Roy Peters say: Putin's only reason for this whole affair is to protect his naval base in Crimea,… on Thursday, 06 March 2014 12:55
- Dog parks are a bad idea (David the Dogman) a total noob say: You'll be able to absolutely visit eagerness inside the works of art you're posting. The… on Thursday, 06 March 2014 08:24
- Demolition threat to expats' mill home (Costa del Sol) claireF say: To Brian Hunt, I really hope that you are going to formally complain about this… on Wednesday, 05 March 2014 16:31
- Octogenarians see 'see flying sheep' and 'falling clouds' after accidentally eating cannabis cake (Spain) Bob Marley say: Sounds like armageddon, better call the SAS to clean up the problem. On a more… on Wednesday, 05 March 2014 14:53
- Spanish drivers are the second-worst in Europe researchers say (Spain) Graeme M say: The roundabout rules here in Castellon are madness! As DS said they are taught to… on Wednesday, 05 March 2014 12:56
- Spanish drivers are the second-worst in Europe researchers say (Spain) DS say: In my experience they´ll never let you onto the motorway when accessing from a slip… on Wednesday, 05 March 2014 10:29