Daesh plan to take to the seas Nato Naval officer warns

By Kylie J Brennan Friday, 29 January 2016 10:46 0
USS Cole. USS Cole. © U.S. Marine Corps, Sgt. Don L. Maes.

A senior Nato officer has advised that Daesh militants have ambitions to develop a maritime arm to carry out terror attacks in Mediterranean waters.

Vice-Admiral Clive Johnstone told the press that an “uncomfortable shadow” had been cast by them gaining more territory in Libya, including strongholds Tripoli, Misrata and Sirte along on the country´s Mediterranean-facing coast.

The Royal Navy Officer confirmed that militants were changing tack, and that, having acquired more sophisticated weaponry made in Russia and China, they posed a significant risk to the eastern Mediterranean region in particular. 

British and Italy are reported to be seriously considering posting thousands of troops to the area as it becomes increasingly militarised, and, according to Vice-Admiral Johnstone, commercial shipping and cruise routes fall under threat. The presence of the Russian Navy has also increased in the waters, triggering fears that Nato allies will be “hustled out.”

As tensions grow, an “act of random terrorism” in the region would have “extraordinary implications for the Western world” claims the Vice Admiral, who says he is “quietly worried” that an “act that is almost a mistake” will cause the area to collapse into chaos. 

Daesh´s rivals Al Qaeda, are also said to have boasted an impressive naval operation which is said to include anything from fifteen up to 300 vessels, according to who is reporting it.  

Fortunately, their so-called “Prince of the Sea” and chief of naval operations Abdulrahim Mohammed Abda al-Nasheri, who masterminded 2000´s attack on USS Cole in Yemen, killing 17 US military personnel, has been in custody since 2002. Since then he has confessed that Al Qaeda were planning attacks on U.S and British warships in the Mediterranean and in the Straits of Gibraltar. 

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
0 Characters
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location

Poll of the Week

Given the short notice that many passengers received over flight cancellations, do you think Ryanair handled the situation professionally?

Latest Tweets

Have you been harassed by the silent menace? #Tigermosquito #Spain https://t.co/eKmnjPRKkw
#Hailstorm over the weekend left four with #hypothermia https://t.co/LgdwkF0QYh
Look at the size of it! #Barcelona #turtle #beach #Calella https://t.co/KmE4olfOsG
Follow Euro Weekly News on Twitter

Post Gallery

First two days of strike action suspended at Spain’s airports to allow 'space' for talks

Police hold Saudi royals at gunpoint in Marbella

Airport strikes in Spain loom as last-ditch talks scheduled

Juana Rivas faces prison despite handing sons over to father

WATCH: Chris Froome increases La Vuelta a España cycle race lead

EasyJet hoping new hand luggage in the hold option takes off on its flights

Airport strikes in Spain suspended as talks continue

One dead in Malaga road  tunnel car crash

Costa Blanca lashed by summer storms – and you can blame Dana