JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 9047

Motor Insurance – some basic questions answered

By Wednesday, 30 September 2015 16:34 0
DRIVE HAPPY: Ibex have the knowledge to advise you about the best insurance options. DRIVE HAPPY: Ibex have the knowledge to advise you about the best insurance options. shutterstock.com

Driving another vehicle:
One of the most often asked questions is whether a policyholder can drive another vehicle on their insurance in Spain and the answer is usually NO. It is the vehicle that is insured, not the person.
In Spain the vehicle is normally insured in the name of the owner and is generally for any driver with a full valid EU licence and the level of cover is not affected by who drives the car – if it is comprehensive for the policyholder, then it is comprehensive for any other driver who is covered under the terms of the policy. There are a few insurers, like Ibex Insurance, that may offer a discounted premium for restricting drivers or apply age limits for certain vehicles.

Cover available:
Fully Comprehensive, Third Party, Fire & Theft and Third Party Only covers are available depending on the age and value of the vehicle. Most insurers in Spain will not offer Fully Comprehensive cover for new policies where the car is over 15 years old, although if you have comprehensive cover before the car reaches that age they will normally continue to offer comprehensive for as long as you own that vehicle and maintain that policy.

You must carry your vehicle and personal documents - driving licence, evidence of payment of the circulation tax (Permiso de circulacion), Spanish MOT card (Tarjeta and Certificado ITV), log book (ficha tecnica), certificate of insurance (for UK vehicles), Green Card and copy of the receipt.
For further up-to-date information you can refer to www.dgt.es.

What to do if you have an accident:
In the event of an accident, you need to complete a European Accident Statement form together with the other driver and if you do not have one of these documents in your car you can obtain one from your broker or insurer. Even if the Guardia Civil is called and they are to prepare a Police Report, you still need to complete the form and both drivers have to sign it for their respective insurers. Ideally you should take photographs of the incident then look for any witnesses before any vehicle is moved. If there is any injury or if the road is blocked because either or both of the vehicles cannot be moved you MUST call the emergency number 112.
To discuss your motor insurance requirements just call into one of the Ibex offices in Camposol (Mazarron), Ciudad Quesada (Rojales) or La Zenia (Orihuela Costa).
Julie and Clare (Mazarron) on 968 595 945, Andrea, Carol and Michele (Quesada) on 966 719 951, Jamie and Tracy (La Zenia) on 966 761 575.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
0 Characters
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location

Poll of the Week

Given the short notice that many passengers received over flight cancellations, do you think Ryanair handled the situation professionally?

Latest Tweets

Have you been harassed by the silent menace? #Tigermosquito #Spain https://t.co/eKmnjPRKkw
#Hailstorm over the weekend left four with #hypothermia https://t.co/LgdwkF0QYh
Look at the size of it! #Barcelona #turtle #beach #Calella https://t.co/KmE4olfOsG
Follow Euro Weekly News on Twitter

Post Gallery

First two days of strike action suspended at Spain’s airports to allow 'space' for talks

Police hold Saudi royals at gunpoint in Marbella

Airport strikes in Spain loom as last-ditch talks scheduled

Juana Rivas faces prison despite handing sons over to father

WATCH: Chris Froome increases La Vuelta a España cycle race lead

EasyJet hoping new hand luggage in the hold option takes off on its flights

Airport strikes in Spain suspended as talks continue

One dead in Malaga road  tunnel car crash

Costa Blanca lashed by summer storms – and you can blame Dana

© 2017 EWN Media Group, Avenida Ramon y Cajal 54, Edificio River Playa, Local 2, 29640 Fuengirola, Malaga, Spain. Telephone: +34 951 38 61 61. No part of this website may be reproduced without written permission from the publishers. All rights reserved. Todos los derechos reservados. 
Privacy Policy - Legal Notice