What is an accident report form?
An accident report form is a document which outlines the circumstances which have occurred in a car accident.
In addition to the personal details of the drivers and their vehicles, the document includes a jointly agreed description of the manoeuvres carried out by the drivers when the accident took place, which plays a key role in determining who is responsible for a traffic accident.
How should it be completed?
Línea Directa offers the following advice to complete the form:
1. Columns A and B (blue and yellow), are for the personal details of the drivers and their vehicles.
2. In section 12, (Circumstances) the numbered column on the left describes the manoeuvres of car A and the one on the right those of car B.
If you are unsure which box to mark, leave it blank. Make a drawing of the accident in section 13 indicating the manoeuvre of each car.
3. If anybody has been injured or if you think they might have been injured, complete section 24.
4. If there is more than one car involved in the accident, also complete section 23, on the reverse side of the form, and include it in the sketch.
5. Sign the form and keep a copy.
How to act in case of an accident
Línea Directa Insurance advises you of the steps to follow in case of a road accident in Spain.
1. Call the emergency number: 112. They will coordinate the procedure and will ask you in detail about the circumstances of the accident.
2. Remain calm at all times. Switch on the emergency lights and if the state of the vehicle permits, remove the vehicle from the road, in order to avoid delays and further accidents, to the extent possible.
3. Signal the accident location. Before stepping out of the car, put on your high-visibility jacket, which is compulsory, and place the emergency triangles correctly. The first must be placed about 50 metres behind the car in the direction of the traffic, and the second about 100m.
4. If someone is seriously injured, never try to move them, except if in danger of fire or imminent explosion. Cover the injured person, keep them calm and wait for the emergency services to arrive.
5. If the circumstances of the location allow, always fill in the European accident report, which is an essential document for speeding up the procedures and handling between the insurance companies. If you have any doubt about how to do this, don’t hesitate to call your insurance company.
For more information, Call 902 123 309