A dog bought on Facebook has killed one man and left his brother needing his legs amputated
A pet bought on Facebook has left a family devastated in Colchester, Essex after the Japanese Akita passed on deadly bacteria it was carrying when nipping their skin. This resulted in the death of one family member, and another had to have his legs amputated.
Pauline Day, aged 62, explained how her 46-year-old brother Barry had bought the 15-month old dog for £1,500 from a private Facebook seller in London. Unknown to Barry at the time though was that Ted – as they named the pet – had a mouth full of deadly bacteria.
In July, while playing with his pet, Ted apparently nipped Barry on his arm. The bite caused an infection, which sent Barry into cardiac arrest, and he died at home three days later.
One month later, on August 19, the day of Barry’s funeral, Pauline’s 61-year-old husband, Mark, was out walking Ted when the dog bit him on the hand. As a result of this incident, Mark has been in hospital diagnosed with sepsis since August, caused by bacteria from the dog’s bite.
Mr Day has already had all the fingers on his left hand amputated, and it is thought that by next week he will also need both his legs amputated. Doctors have informed Ms Day that Mr Day’s condition is “100 per cent” due to a bacterial infection from the dog.
As Pauline pointed out, “They weren’t even attacked. Ted literally just broke the skin on my husband and my brother. It was the softest dog, but it had food issues. Whenever it was near food it was so aggressive. We think it was mistreated as a puppy”.
When purchasing the dog from the seller, its owner gave paperwork to Mr Day, but a later check has discovered that there was no vaccination history. Mrs Day has since had Ted put down, as reported by independent.co.uk.