The Euro Weekly News was on hand this evening, Sunday September 12, as the 16th Marbella International Film Festival made a triumphant return at the H10 Hotel in Marbella.
Sponsoring the event, alongside Nero Premium Vodka, the whole EWN team was out in force for all the glitz and glamour the Marbella International Film Festival is famous for.
Following four days of screenings, tonight the festival held its awards gala, honouring the hard work and talent of some of the industry’s brightest stars.
Guests and stars were dressed to impress, talking to the EWN about their films before entertainment hosted by Nero Premium Vodka, including dancers, dazzled attendees.
Singer Peet Rothwell also performed before EWN CEO Michel Euesden took to the stage to thank Nero Premium Vodka for sponsoring the event, as well as Marbella International Film Festival organiser Mac Chakaveh for his achievement in putting together the spectacular event during a pandemic.
Michel also praised Marbella´s community for coming together during the pandemic, and for businesses, actors, directors, and producers for continuing to create important work.
She said: “The tagline of Nero is ´undefeatable spirit.´ And this festival epitomises that spirit, the undefeatable spirit of Marbella.”
Following Michel´s speech, Mac also took to the stage to thank everyone for taking part and the sponsors for making the event happen, explaining that the festival had been organised in around four weeks.
Host Giles Brown then introduced the presenters handing out the awards for 2020 and 2021.
The nominees were:
- Best Shorter Short Film: The Family Gold, Unleash Chaos, True
- Best Short Film: Il Vestito, Kingsey, Celeste´s Dreams
- Best Director: Adrian Bol – Legacy of Lies, Domencio Costanzo – I Married My Mother, Luis Carlos Londoño – Caballo de Acero
- Best Feature Film: Legacy of Lies, I Married My Mother, Caballo de Acero
Best Actor: Oliver Hobson – One Day at a Time, Terry Stone – Rise of the Footsoldier: Origins, Joel Ballard – TwoTwo
Best Actress: Morgan Makana – TwoTwo, Estefania Villaespesa – Dark Light, Donia Eden – Holidays at all Cost
Best Documentary: Roller Girls Beirut, A Wicked Eden, Stalking Chernobyl
Best Director: Dominique Lienhard – Fires in the Dark, Jun Hoskulds – TwoTwo, Nick Nevern – Rise of h¡the Footsoldier: Origins
Best Short Film: Why I am a Recluse, Limbo, Otaku
Best Story: One Day at a Time, Holidays at all Cost, Limbo
Best Feature Film: Rise of the Footsolder: Origins, One Day at a Time, Holidays at all Cost
The winners were:
- Best Shorter Short Film: True
- Best Short Film: Kingsey
- Best Director: Luis Carlos Londoño – Caballo de Acero
- Best Feature Film: Legacy of Lies
- Best Actor: Terry Stone – Rise of the Footsoldier
- Best Actress: Estefania Villaespesa – Dark Light
- Best Documentary: Stalking Chernobyl
- Best Director: Jun Hoskulds – TwoTwo
- Best Short Film: Causa Ermitana
- Best Story: Holiday At Any Cost
- Best Feature Film: Rise of the Footsoldier
The awards were closed with EWN CEO Michel Euesden presenting the final award for Best Film, which was Rise of the Footsoldier:Origin. The film was written, shot and edited during the first, second and third lockdown and went straight to the top 10 in the UK box office.
The evening ended with teams of photographers capturing photos of the happy winners in an event that may not have been possible without the hard work of organisers, sponsors and the community of Marbella.
Thank you for reading, and don’t forget to check out The Euro Weekly News for all your up-to-date local and international news stories.