Owner’s warning after dog swallows spikes on barbecue cleaning brush

0
Owner’s warning after dog swallows spikes on barbecue cleaning brush

Lots of dog owners will be taking advantage of sunny weather over the summer by enjoying a barbecue, but watch out for hazards for dogs.

Lots of dog owners will be taking advantage of sunny weather over the summer by enjoying a barbecue, however, an owner from Nottingham has a warning about being vigilant about what your pooch gets hold of!

Leon Tomasevic’s Labradoodle, Riley, swallowed the spikes on a wire brush that is used to clean the barbecue.

-- ADVERTISEMENT --

He said: “We had absolutely no idea of the dangers but when he started chewing at it, because of the flavours and scents of the cooking, the tiny bristles just came off.

“He was sick within minutes and our vets were incredibly worried. There were literally hundreds of bristles, and it would have been impossible to operate and get them all out.”

Leon bulk fed Riley with pasta, mashed potatoes and bread to help the bristles pass through naturally. Had the bristles perforated his internal organs they could have caused permanent damage or even death.


Barbecue cleaning brushes are just one of the hazards that have caused a rise in the number of pet emergencies, according to Tem Dogs.

Dave Leicester, head of telehealth at Vets Now, said care needs to be taken to avoid accidents that could have been prevented happening.

He said: “You and your guests should be aware of which foods are dangerous to your pets.


“Alcohol, corn on the cob and bones are particular barbecue hazards. Pets, especially dogs, are skilled at sniffing out leftovers.”

He added: “Aluminium foil, plastic wrap, matches and kebab skewers can be dangerous, especially if they’re covered in grease or other food.”


Thank you for reading, and don’t forget to check The Euro Weekly News for all your up-to-date local and international news stories.

Laura is from a small seaside town in North Wales and has also lived in Liverpool and Manchester, where she studied English Literature and worked in social media and marketing. Laura moved to the city of Zaragoza last August to teach English, but after missing the coast she decided to move to beautiful Nerja to enjoy the sun and sea. Laura has a passion for animals, films, outdoor activities, writing and the environment.

LEAVE A COMMENT

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here