UK Migrant Crisis Returns As Nearly 600 Migrants Attempt To Cross Channel In 72 Hours.
The number of migrants crossing the Channel has more than doubled this year compared to the same period last year – despite Home Secretary Ms. Patel’s vow to make the route “unviable”. Nearly 600 migrants have so far attempted to cross the English Channel in the past three days, according to the government.
The UK’s Border Force had to deal with 83 people on four boats on Friday and 201 people on eight boats on Thursday, the Home Office confirmed. In another incident, HM Coastguard had to rescue the occupants of one boat near Hastings, East Sussex, on Thursday.
Meanwhile, the French authorities intercepted 130 people in eight crossings on Friday, after dealing with nine crossings involving 171 people on Wednesday and Thursday, bringing the overall total to 585. It is worth noting that these are the official figures of the migrants apprehended, there could be many more that escaped the net and got through.
A statement issued by the Prefecture Maritime de la Manche in France said the priority was to safeguard human life and navigation, adding: “Light boats that take to the sea to try crossing run a considerable risk.”
The prefecture said under the Manche Plan – a Franco-British agreement where the two countries work together in case of Channel accidents – French and British resources can operate in French and British zones.
The ones that get through disappear ‘off the radar’ with no PCR test carried out and their whereabouts unknown to police and authorities.
The Euro Weekly News is running a campaign to help reunite Brits in Spain with their family and friends by capping the costs of PCR tests for travel. Please help us urge the government to cap costs at http://www.euroweeklynews.com/2021/04/16/ewn-champions-the-rights-of-brits-in-spain-to-see-loved-ones-again/
Thank you for reading this article, and remember, don’t forget to check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories.