Patient who set hospital ward on fire jailed

0
Patient who set hospital ward on fire jailed
Credit Twitter

PATIENT who set hospital ward on fire by smoking in bed has been jailed

Lee Williams, 45, has been jailed for 5 years after setting a ward on fire by smoking a cigarette in bed while wearing an oxygen mask. Although repeatedly warned by staff that smoking was prohibited, Williams still lit up on Ward C5 of University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff last May. The fire that ensued almost cost him his life and thirty-eight patients had to be evacuated from two wards at the 1000-bed hospital.

-- Advertisement --

The patient’s ‘act of gross stupidity’ did almost £50,000 damage and a doctor and two nurses received treatment for smoke inhalation and shock after the blaze.

Williams, of Treherbert, Rhondda, South Wales, was jailed for five years.


Judge David Wynn Morgan said:

‘You put at risk the life of the doctor who rushed to treat you, the two nurses who helped, the security staff who put out the fire, and the 38 patients who had to be evacuated in the thick smoke.’


‘The dangers of fire were made clear to you. Your response was: ‘I don’t care, it is my decision to have a cigarette’.

________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for taking the time to read this news article “Patient who set hospital ward on fire jailed”. For more UK daily news, Spanish daily news and Global news stories, visit the Euro Weekly News home page.

Euro Weekly News is delighted to continue be able to bring you a range of News from around Spain in English and Global News live as it happens.

Euro Weekly News doesn’t cost you anything but your internet connection. Whether it’s bringing you the local Spanish news or the International news today, we’ve got you covered!

Euro Weekly News, the leading free local and national newspaper in Spain, the people’s paper, we lead others follow!

 

 

 





LEAVE A COMMENT

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here