THE Government in Spain will extend part of the “social shield”, which includes the ban on evictions, that were approved during the pandemic until next January 31, according to government sources.
The measures will be approved today, Tuesday in the Consejo de Ministros and include the extension of the ban on evictions, under the same conditions as the Royal Decree-Law, the possibility of extending the conditions of rental contracts and measures on large property holders.
Measures such as the prohibition to cut the electricity supply and the perception of the social bonus are not included in the extension. At least for now. The vice presidency for social rights, led by Pablo Iglesias, is negotiating these measures with the Treasury.
The moratorium on the payment of mortgages to banks for people affected by the crisis, who have seen their taxes reduced, is also not extended.
Pending its approval and publication in the BOE, this is how the main measures of the social shield would be:
- Electric power, natural gas and water companies will be able to cut off supply to vulnerable consumers. The March decree prohibited cutting supplies to vulnerable consumers, severely vulnerable or at risk of social exclusion, whose conditions are defined in decree 897/2017. This supply guarantee ends on September 30 and, except for changes in the negotiations, it will not be extended. The beneficiaries of the social bond whose term has expired in recent months will have to apply again.
- Evictions of vulnerable people are still prohibited. The evictions were suspended for a period of six months, until October 1. The ban on evictions will continue to be prohibited for individuals and families in a situation of economic vulnerability, although it is necessary to request their suspension and prove said vulnerability.
- If your landlord has more than ten stories, you can ask for a rent deferral. For this, you must be in a case of economic vulnerability. If you do not reach an agreement to lower your rent, the landlord must accept that you pay half for four months or prorate the debt for three years.
- If you request it, you can extend the conditions of your rental contract until January 31. The extension was until September 30, but the deadline is extended. In this case, it applies to both small and large owners.
- End of the mortgage moratorium. The deadline for requesting a postponement of mortgage payments from the bank ends today, September 29. There will be no extension of this measure.
We hope you enjoyed this article “Spanish Government will approve the ban on evictions and rent increases until February”.
You may also wish to read “The Benalmadena Community needs you!”
Euro Weekly News is delighted to continue to be able to bring you a range of News that doesn’t cost you anything but your internet connection. Whether it’s Local Spanish News or International Entertainment News, we’ve got you covered!
For more up-to-the-minute National & International News, visit the Euro Weekly News website.
Euro Weekly News, the people’s paper, we lead others follow!