A SHORT circuit in the electrical panel of a nursing home in Calvia forced the Council of Mallorca’s Institute of Social Affairs to evacuate 55 elderly people and a dozen workers.
Fortunately, there were no injuries. A 102-year-old man was transferred to the Sant Joan de Deu hospital in a mild condition.
The fire broke out around 4.30pm, Friday, August 21, numerous emergency services were dispatched to the Calvia nursing home, located in Placa Nova.
The residents were transferred to the second floor of the centre, not affected by fire or smoke. However, as a precautionary measure, it was decided to evacuate them all.
To prevent the elderly from waiting in the open, it was decided to transfer them to the Calvia Town Hall.
They waited in the town hall until the firefighters, who used powerful fans to dissipate the thick smoke in the nursing home, had declared it safe.
Calvia firefighters removed the thick smoke with powerful fans.