Here is a simple and healthy stew. It is vegan and gluten-free, straightforward to make and the ingredients are easy to get hold of!!
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large stick of celery, diced
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped into 2cm cubes
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 tbsp ground dried sage
- 1½ tbsp ground dried rosemary
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 cup uncooked red lentils (soaked for 2 hours if preferred)
- 4-5 cups water
- 3 cups broccoli, cut into small florets
- ½ tbsp soy sauce
- 1 cup dark leafy greens, like kale or spinach (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan with a lid, steam sauté the onion in a small amount of water for 5 minutes on a medium heat, keep stirring.
- Add the celery, potatoes, carrot, sage, rosemary, stock cube, lentils and water to the pan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and cook, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring now and then. The potato should be just tender.
- Add the broccoli and cook for a further 10 minutes (or until the lentils have become mush), stirring occasionally.
- Add the soy, salt and pepper to taste, and the leafy greens. Cook for 3 more minutes, or until the greens have wilted.
Serve immediately. (Also keeps well in the fridge for several days. Reheat when needed.)-- ADVERTISEMENT --
Recipe credit: Vancouverwithlove