Placido Domingo’s 50th Anniversary On Stage in Madrid, Spain, Gets Cancelled After Sexual Harassment Confession

0

The Spanish tenor Placido Domingo was accused by 27 women for sexual harassment a few months ago. After initially denying the allegations, he confessed earlier this week and apologised to the women, saying that he accepts “all responsibility”, and regrets “the pain” that he may have caused them.

The National Institute of Performing and Musical Arts (INAEM) of the Ministry of Culture in Spain reacted to his confession today, by cancelling the celebration of Placido Domingo’s 50 years on stage. It would have taken place at Teatro de la Zarzuela in Madrid, and was scheduled for May 14-15.

-- Advertisement --

The decision was made “to show solidarity with the affected women and realise the responsibility recognised by the artist”.

The Minister of Culture and Sports, José Manuel Rodríguez Uribes, says:


“Before there was a presumption of innocence, but from now on the situation is different. From the moment that he admitted that this actually happened – that serious events occurred that affected many women, we made this decision. It is an act of solidarity with the women who suffered from this situation and it is not against the law [to cancel the anniversary]. He himself says that he will take all responsibility.”

This is not only the first cancellation in Spain but the first in Europe. The Spanish Government has with this decision implied that they take an official stand against the actions of Placido Domingo.






LEAVE A COMMENT

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here