A rather shocking experience in Javea, Costa Blanca

0
ARENAL PROMENADE: Electric shocks for dogs. Photo credit: Chisloup

DOG-OWNERS complained to the Costa Blanca resort’s town hall that their pets have received electric shocks on a pavement near the Arenal beach.
“They go mad when their paws touch it,” one owner said. The shocks first occurred at the end of January, days after Storm Gloria caused serious damage to Javea’s seafront and have continued since then.
“They’re clearly receiving much more than just a tickle,” one witness told the Spanish media after seeing what happened when a dog with wet paws stepped onto the pavement in front of the Parador.
“They writhe as though the current is running through them.” After several dog-owners reported the problem, the town hall’s services councillor Kika Mata gave the order to inspect the street lighting. Municipal employees found that the lampposts had no electricity until 6pm or 7pm while all of the dogs were affected during the day. Whatever was causing the shocks was not linked to the streetlights, the operatives told Mata. After the councillor asked Iberdrola to check its installations, the energy company found a bare wire in an electricity tower beside the spot where dogs were receiving the shocks. This has now been repaired, Mata confirmed.

 

-- Advertisement --





LEAVE A COMMENT

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here