The National Police have arrested the parents of a 22-month-old baby girl in Spain’s Costa Blanca for child neglect after the toddler was admitted to hospital in serious condition for cannabis poisoning.
The child had been taken to Villajoyosa Hospital by her parents after she fell unconscious at home. She was then transferred to the Pediatric ICU of Alicante Hospital as was not able to breath on her own and required assisted ventilation. Doctors then performed a series of tests on the child which determined that the child had a significant amount of cannabis in their system.
Upon being questioned by the police, the parents, aged 22- and 23-years-old, denied that they were the ones who gave their child the drug. They stressed that their daughter must have ingested the narcotic whilst out on a walk in a local park which is frequented by drug users. The parents admitted that they often smoked cannabis, but never in front of their children or inside their home in Benidorm.
The investigation has now been passed over to the Unit for Women and Families (UFAM) at the Alicante Police Station who have processed the necessary paperwork to take temporary guardianship of the child whilst the investigation continues.
As Euro Weekly News understands, the parents have since been remanded in custody and will appear in court in due course.