Costa Blanca’s Benidorm Castle project completed

0
BENIDORM CASTILLO: Visitors viewing glass panels while work was still in progress. Photo credit: Benidorm town hall


BENIDORM’S landmark Plaza del Castillo, closed all this week, reopens Friday, February 14.
The town hall’s heritage councillor, Ana Pellicer, explained that it was closed on safety grounds while the Castillo’s new lighting was installed, together with a ventilation system for the glass-covered archaeological remains that were discovered during last year’s dig.

“We were unable to do this when the Castillo reopened last November as we were still waiting for the material and equipment,” Pellicer said. The lighting that was provisionally installed at the Castillo’s pergola has also been removed and replaced with the spotlights included in the original design. The glass panels that are flush with the ground and cover remains that date from the 14th, 16th and 18th century have been provided with a ventilation system that will prevent condensation and make them visible at all times, Pellicer said.

-- Advertisement --

The project to search for, and excavate, the Castillo’s remains cost €1.2 million, of which €500,000 was an EU grant made available through the European Regional Development Fund (FEDER). As well as the cultural and historical aspects of the project, it also enabled the town hall to stabilise the Canfali cliffs where the Castillo is located, the councillor added.

 






LEAVE A COMMENT

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here