THIRD metro worker dies from asbestos exposure in Spain

0
spain news
Three workers from the Metro de Madrid have died from causes related to asbestos exposure. Credit: Metro Madrid.

IT has been revealed that a third Metro worker has sadly died from exposure to asbestos in Madrid, Spain.

In a statement released from the CCOO Workers’ Union they stated that the man, named as ‘RHE’, was a retired engineer who developed a disease linked to his exposure to the highly toxic material when he worked at Metro de Madrid.

-- Advertisement --

Managed by public entities from the Comunidad de Madrid, Metro de Madrid employs some 7,000 workers, where there have now been three deaths linked to those who worked at the transport company. 

As reported by the CCOO, the most recent victim suffered from pleural mesothelioma, a cancer of the protective lining of the lungs which are scientifically proven to be caused by inhaling asbestos fibres. However, this is just the tip of the iceberg, as a spokesman for the union states that “several retired colleagues from Metro de Madrid are now being diagnosed with diseases related to asbestos.”

The alarming fatalities have not only shocked the capital, but the CCOO have also heavily criticised the response from the administration and management of Metro de Madrid. They state that “they should be trying all that is possible to find a solution and speak with the union as soon as possible so that more people do not have to wait years to find out they will suffer from the same fate.”


They claim that although Metro de Madrid have released messages of actions through the press, that this does not resonate with the response that the CCOO has seen, resulting in “ineffective plans.” In addition, they urge the public entity to safeguard their current employees who work daily with the toxic material.

Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral where its fibres pose serious dangers to humans. Exposure to the material can cause inflammation, scarring and eventually genetic damage to the body’s cells, leading to mesothelioma – a rare and aggressive form of cancer. The microscopic fibres are especially dangerous as cannot be seen, smelt or tasted and can also lead to progressive lung disease.





LEAVE A COMMENT

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here