A BRITISH 19-year-old is currently on trial charged with public mischief after allegedly making up an attack on July 17 at an Ayia Napa hotel.
Her initial claims was that she was gang-raped in Cyprus a week into a working holiday before she was due to start university.
A group of young Israeli men were accused and arrested, but were released 10 days later after the British teenager made a retraction statement.
The young Brit spent more than a month in prison accused of “lying about the attack” before she was granted bail at the end of August, but cannot leave the island, having surrendered her passport.
She could face up to a year in jail and a 1,700 euro (£1,500) fine if she is found guilty of public mischief.
Lawyer Michael Polak, director of the group Justice Abroad, which is assisting the teenager, said an 18-page report by forensic linguist Dr Andrea Nini will back her case and that it was provable that the retraction statement was written by someone else.
The forensic linguist claims the young teenager couldn’t have penned the letter, and will testify in order to rule the statement is inadmissible. The linguist expert further affirms that the statement was “highly unlikely’ to have been written by a native English speaker, “rather by someone who speaks English as a second language,”
Prosecutors claim the teenager willingly wrote and signed the document.
But the teenager says she was forced by police to change her story with the words dictated in ‘Greek English’ by Detective Sergeant Marios Christou.
Giving evidence earlier this month, the young women said: ‘I’m very well educated. I’m going to university, I got an unconditional offer so there is no way I would write a paragraph like this.’
The trial is expected to continue on Friday after being twice adjourned this month.