A 16-year-old girl has died of bacterial meningitis in Murcia, it has been revealed.
The young woman began to show symptoms last week and died at Hospital Universitario Virgen de la Arrixaca two days later.
The case has led the Ministry of Health of the Region of Murcia to implement the prevention protocol, which involves treatment for all family members and the girl’s schoolmates.
She was studying at the institute Carthago Spartaria in La Palma, about 15 km from the city of Cartagena.
Her classmates received medication on Friday.
The victim had started to feel ill on Wednesday and went to the health centre, from where she was sent to the Virgen de la Arrixaca Hospital in Murcia, where she died on Friday.
According to the newspaper La Verdad, the townsfolk are shocked, as well as the neighbouring council of Pozo Estrecho, whose swimming pool the young woman used.
Bacterial meningitis is a very serious ailment that can be fatal. It causes high fever, headache and stiff neck, and sometimes nausea, vomiting and confusion.
Symptoms can appear very quickly or in several days, and usually occur between three and seven days after exposure to the bacteria.