EL PORTAL DEL CLOT is one of Javea’s few remaining original features.
The small plaza with its cross made from rough local stone shown in 19th century photographs is still there.
The cross is one of the 17 marking crossroads or gateways in the walls that protected the town from pirate incursions until 1874 when they were finally demolished.
Earlier in the 14th century the original town was completely walled but as it grew, these had to be extended in the late 15th or early 16th century.
New roads were built encircling the first walls with entrances at the Portal del Clot, the Portal de la Mar – which also retains its cross – Portal de la Ferreria, and Portal de Sant Vicent.