Man who assaulted Korean Embassy out on bail

0
Man who assaulted Korean Embassy out on bail
Man who assaulted Korean Embassy out on bail. Credit: Twitter


THE only man so far arrested for an ‘assault’ on the North Korean Embassy in Madrid has been released on bail of $1.3 million by a US court. 

His lawyers said: “Christopher Ahn was released on bail from the Los Angeles Metropolitan Detention Centre on Tuesday, July 16 and will live in an undisclosed location.” 

The accused is a former US marine, who is now under house arrest as he still faces extradition to Spain to be tried for his alleged involvement in the attack on the embassy on February 22. 

Ahn has surrendered his passport to US authorities and has pledged not to ask for any other travel permits to leave the country while the case remains open. 

During the attack on the embassy, seven men allegedly manhandled and beat diplomatic staff for hours and stole computer equipment before fleeing. 

The assailants allegedly belong to the Free Joseon group, which seeks to overthrow North Korean leader Kim Jong-un. After committing the crime, the alleged perpetrators fled to the US, so Spain has requested the extradition of Ahn, who was arrested on April 18.  

It also wants to question Hong Chang, considered the leader of the group. 

 The Spanish National High Court accuses Ahn and Chang of breaking and entering, illegal detention, threats, robbery with violence, injuries and membership of a criminal organisation, as defined in the Spanish penal code.  

Hong Chang’s lawyer, Lee Wolosky, said after Ahn’s arrest he was “disappointed that the (US) Department of Justice has decided to execute arrest warrants against US citizens derived from criminal complaints filed by North Korea.” 

Like
Like Love Haha Wow Sad Angry

LEAVE A COMMENT

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here