Do they need a lawyer?



I became the President of a large Community (477 apartments) near Torrevieja and we need some legal advice in the following areas:

1. Interpretation of the Horizontal Property Act particularly with regard to AGMs and EGMs and what percentage votes are required for different issues.


2. To finalise a Community regulation document detailing what owners can and cannot do to their balconies/terraces.

3. To finalise a Community regulation document detailing who is responsible for repairs to balconies/terraces.

M J (Costa Blanca)


Why not start by talking to your property administrators? Are they registered as Administrador de Fincas? This is an official title and they should be able to provide most basic legal advice. If not, you might want to give some thought to a change. A community as large as yours needs good legal advice.

Someone will know an effective lawyer. Or you could order my book, You & the Law in Spain, from Amazon or from [email protected]. The book does not resolve every detail, but it will help you to ask the right questions and to understand the answers.

Send your questions for David Searl through lawyers Ubeda-Retana and Associates in Fuengirola at [email protected], or call 952 667 090.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here