WOOD STOVE DEATHS: Couple die at holiday home in Spain after suspected carbon monoxide poisoning

2
WOOD STOVE: The couple are believed to have died from carbon monoxide poisoning. File image. Photo credit: Shutterstock

A BELGIAN couple found dead at their holiday home in Escorca reportedly died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The bodies of Andre Emsems and Philippine de Mevius were found on Saturday afternoon, and the Guardia Civil concluded they inhaled toxic gas from a wood stove.

The Judicial Police has now taken over the investigation into the circumstances surrounding the deaths at the recently refurbished property on the Muntanya estate.

The discovery was made after members of the family became concerned they had not heard from the couple and notified the police. When nobody answered the door at the finca, officers broke in and found the corpses in the marital bed.

From the outset, police ruled out foul play as there were no signs of violence and the house was all in order and locked.

It has since emerged Philippine de Mevius was the daughter of a couple who head a family which is one of three that are shareholders in Anheuser-Busch InBev, the world’s largest beer company.

Its brands include Budweiser and Stella Artois.

The deceased were reportedly owners of a castle in Belgium, the Chateau de Emptinne.

• EDITOR’S NOTE: An earlier version of this story was incorrectly accompanied by a photograph of a gas stove. We are sorry for any confusion caused and thank our readers for bringing it to our attention.

2 COMMENTS

LEAVE A COMMENT

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here