TRAGEDY: Little boy chokes to death while eating grapes at midnight in Spanish New Year’s Eve tradition

0
RISKS: Warning after little boy dies while eating grapes on New Year’s Eve. Photo: Shutterstock


DOCTORS have urged parents to cut grapes in half before giving them to children after a toddler choked to death while seeing in the New Year in the traditional Spanish way of eating a fruit for each stroke of midnight.

The three-year-old, whose family are believed to be migrants from Ecuador, was rushed to a hospital in Gijon, on the Bay of Biscay, where doctors tried unsuccessfully for an hour to revive him.

Health professionals claim that eating grapes poses a choking hazard for young children as the smooth surface of the fruit can form a ‘seal’ that prevents air from getting in. Their advice is to cut the fruit in half.

LEAVE A COMMENT

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here