WATCH: Costa Blanca fire forces 50 neighbours to evacuate building

0
BLAZE: Firefighters were immediately sent to the scene and were joined by Local and National police officers. Photo: Denia Digital


A towering fire gutted an apartment building in Denia, Costa Blanca last weekend.

The fire started when an overheating air conditioning unit burst into flames causing the insulation in a farm building’s wall to turn into a fireball.

The blaze occurred on Sunday 16 at around 12pm on Marqués de Campo street in the heart of Denia.

The fire quickly spread on to Sandung Street sparking separate blazes on three adjoining buildings, reaching as far as Plaza Oculista Buigues where a fourth fire was reported.

Firefighters were immediately sent to the scene and were joined by Local and National police officers.

In a joint effort, emergency services successfully evacuated fifty neighbours from the properties.

Twelve Red Cross professionals were dispatched to the scene, although no major injuries were reported other than a pregnant woman who suffered an anxiety attack, she was later transferred to a health centre.

In total, 16 firefighters from the Denia and Benissa districts were called in to tackle the blaze, which was eventually extinguished at 2:35pm.

The neighbours have since returned to their homes.

LEAVE A COMMENT

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here