BRIT HERO: Brave ‘burnt and blackened’ man raises fire alarm on Spain’s Costa Blanca

0
BRIT HERO: He had burnt his hands trying to put out the fire. File image. Photo credit: Shutterstock

RESIDENTS on the Costa Blanca were woken at 1am in the morning by a British neighbour shouting and banging on their doors.

It took them some time to realise that he was telling them there was a fire inside his apartment in Edificio Caribe in Javea.

“His hands were burnt and blackened, but he was banging on our doors,” one neighbour said.

-- Advertisement --

“At first we didn’t understand what was happening.”

The British man, who had burnt his hands trying to put out the fire, was taken by ambulance to the local health centre.

Most of the neighbours were able to leave their homes safely apart from a woman of 39 who was trapped on the floor above the Brit’s apartment.

Guardia Civil and Local Police officers went up to the top of the building to reassure the woman that help was on its way and – in the words of police sources later – to prevent her from panicking or taking a “reckless decision” and suffering probable injuries.

The Denia fire brigade arrived shortly afterwards and firefighters used a platform ladder to lower the woman to the ground, where she received medical attention for smoke inhalation.

All the furniture and domestic appliances in the Briton’s rented apartment were reduced to ashes and the ceilings and wall scorched, witnesses said afterwards.

A section of the stairway was also affected but residents were allowed to their homes by 3am.

RESIDENTS on the Costa Blanca were woken at 1am in the morning by a British neighbour shouting and banging on their doors.

It took them some time to realise that he was telling them there was a fire inside his apartment in Edificio Caribe in Javea.

“His hands were burnt and blackened, but he was banging on our doors,” one neighbour said.

“At first we didn’t understand what was happening.”

The British man, who had burnt his hands trying to put out the fire, was taken by ambulance to the local health centre.

Most of the neighbours were able to leave their homes safely apart from a woman of 39 who was trapped on the floor above the Brit’s apartment.

Guardia Civil and Policia Local officers went up to the top of the building to reassure the woman that help was on its way and – in the words of police sources later – to prevent her from panicking or taking a “reckless decision” and suffering probable injuries.

The Denia fire brigade arrived shortly afterwards and firefighters used a platform ladder to lower the woman to the ground, where she received medical attention for smoke inhalation.

All the furniture and domestic appliances in the Briton’s rented apartment were reduced to ashes and the ceilings and wall scorched, witnesses said afterwards.

A section of the stairway was also affected but residents were allowed to their homes by 3am.

LEAVE A COMMENT

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here