A HONEYMOONING British couple from Essex claim they had a terrible holiday experience in Menorca when their children contracted hand-foot-and-mouth disease.
The newlyweds Daniel and Danielle Judd claim they were forced to stay in their hotel room as their dream getaway to the Cala Canutells resort was ruined.
Two of the Judd’s three children fell ill on the all-inclusive trip, a wedding gift.
Three days into their stay on the island, the Judd’s youngest child, Chrissie, turned ill as rashes spread across her body.
A local doctor advised an immediate trip to the hospital and a paediatrician later determined Chrissie had contracted hand-foot-and-mouth disease.
To make matters worse, the Judd’s three-year-old son soon started to show the same symptoms as his baby sister.
Hand-foot-and-mouth (HFMD) is a painful and contagious infection which causes ulcers and rashes to develop over the hands and feet and on the mouth. The illness tends to appear in children under the age of 10 but adults can catch it too.
HFMD is spread from poor personal hygiene or from bacteria-contaminated surfaces.
The Menorca hotel where the Judd family stayed ordered the family to remain in their room for the duration of their holiday to avoid a breakout of the disease.
The family are due to return home to Essex tomorrow, but claim their honeymoon experience has been ruined, telling the British press, “We actually feel like prisoners stuck in this room… it doesn’t feel like a holiday at all”
Danielle has blamed the cleanliness of the Menorca hotel for the outbreak, claiming the holiday apartment was ‘pretty dirty’ upon arrival.
A TUI spokesperson has said, “We’d like to reassure customers that we regularly audit all of the hotels we feature in respect of health and safety, including hygiene.”