BARCELONA Football Club has told their fans that Atletico Madrid cannot supply tickets to them ahead of their La Liga game at the brand-new Wanda Metropolitano stadium on October 14 due to ‘logistical problems’.
Since the opening of the new 68,000 capacity stadium in Spain’s capital on September 16 it has successfully hosted two La Liga fixtures and a Champions League clash against Chelsea.
But the Barça club has released a statement on their website saying, “Due to logistical problems in the new Wanda Metropolitano stadium, Atletico de Madrid cannot supply the tickets previously offered to FC Barcelona supporters clubs ahead of La Liga match on Saturday 14th of October (8.45pm CET).”
“Therefore, all FC Barcelona supporters clubs ticket applications for the above match have been cancelled.”
It will be the second La Liga game in a row in which Barça have played without their supporters in the stadium.
Their recent La Liga match against Las Palmas went ahead behind closed doors after the Catalan giants were threatened with a six-point deduction if the match was postponed due to the unrest surrounding the illegal Cataluña independence referendum.
FC Barcelona‘s President Josep Maria Bartomeu has already stated that the 24-time La Liga champions will consider playing in a different league and country if Cataluña gains independence.
He said: “This situation does not exist so far but with regards to things that can happen in the future, it is something that the board of directors would discuss.”