SPANISH authorities have confirmed that Julian Cadman, the seven-year-old boy of dual British and Australian nationality, died in the terror attack on Barcelona’s Las Ramblas.
His family said: “Julian was a much loved and adored member of our family. As he was enjoying the sights of Barcelona with his mother, Julian was sadly taken from us.
“He was so energetic, funny and cheeky, always bringing a smile to our faces. We are so blessed to have had him in our lives and will remember his smiles and hold his memory dear to our hearts.
“We would like to thank all those who helped us in searching for Julian. Your kindness was incredible during a difficult time.
“We also acknowledge we are not the only family to be affected by the events, our prayers and thoughts are with all people affected.”
The mother, who was with the boy, was among the seriously injured during the terror attack which saw 13 people killed and more than 100 injured on the popular tourist street.
Tragically several Spanish national newspapers and television websites had claimed on Saturday that he had been ‘found alive’ in hospital.
On Friday afternoon, UK Prime Minister Theresa May had said,: “Sadly, I must tell you that we do believe that a number of British nationals were caught up in the attack.
A Foreign Office spokesman said: “We are assisting the family of an Australian-British child who was killed in the Barcelona terrorist attack.
“His family have our deepest sympathies at this very difficult time. Our staff are doing all they can to support them, working with our Australian colleagues and the Spanish authorities.”
The Spanish authorities have identified 12 of the victims of 14 who died in the terror attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils.
Fifty-one people, are still being treated in hospitals in Barcelona and Tarragona. Ten are described as critical and 15 as serious.
Eighty-one have been treated and released so far.
The confirmed nationalities of those who died in the Barcelona attack are Australian/British (1), Belgian (1), Italian (2), American (1), Portugese (2) and Spanish (4).
One person of Spanish nationality died in the Cambrils attack.
3 more fatalities of the atttack in #Barcelona identified: 1 Australian boy (also UK nationality) 1 Italian citizen 1 Belgian
— EmergènciesCatalunya (@emergenciescat) August 20, 2017