NEARLY 50 people have been moved from their homes after fire took hold in the municipal boundary of Javea.
Emergency Services were called to the scene in the early afternoon of Tuesday August 9. Police sealed off the area and warned people to stay away while fire crews attempted to bring the blaze under control. Specialised aircraft were brought in to drop water onto the flames in a bid to prevent the fire from spreading, and as of 7pm the situation appeared to be under control.
Emergency Services at the scene included representatives of the Civil Protection, Guardia Civil, Local Police, Red Cross, as well as volunteer firefighters from the area.
It is not known how the fire started and there are no reports of any injuries. The fire is the latest in a series of incidents involving brush and woodland catching fire due to the intense heat and seasonal lack of rain.
Emergency Services are constantly reminding tourists and residents to be aware of the dangers of open fires including barbecues and discarding cigarettes. In one recent example, a German tourist in the Canary Islands started a fire when he tried to burn his toilet paper.