Address on driving permit


Can you tell me how to change the address on my Spanish driving licence? I live in Gandia and we are moving to Alfaz Del Pi. Do I go to the nearest Trafico office? Can I get an agency to do it for me?

H.H. (Costa Blanca)


I strongly recommend that you do this in person. Here is why. In any case, you need to go to the Ayuntamiento – the town hall – in your new place of residence in order to register on the ‘Padron,’ the list of municipal inhabitants. Then you are ‘Empadronado,’ a registered inhabitant of the place. If you are an EU citizen, you can vote in municipal elections.


Furthermore, once you are registered, you can change the address of your driving licence to your new home. You can do this also at the town hall, thus combining the two operations. If you cannot do this all at once, you can of course also make the change at Trafico, but you will need your Certificate of Empadronamiento to do this. You do not get a new licence, only a piece of paper with the change noted.

Send your questions for David Searl through lawyers Ubeda-Retana and Associates in Fuengirola at [email protected], or call 952 667 090.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here