ALTHOUGH they can be great at begging, giving your puppy leftovers from the dinner table can cause them some serious health problems. These 15 foods should never be given to dogs:
Tasty as it may be, bacon is high in fat and can cause pancreatitis in dogs.
Although it may seem ok to give your dog the leftover bones from your chicken or other meat dinner, they can easily choke on them plus cooked bones can splinter and seriously damage their insides.
Raw meat and eggs:
The bacteria such as salmonella or E. Coli that can be present are even more harmful to dogs than to humans. Eggs also contain an enzyme which reduces absorption of biotin and can lead to skin and hair problems.
Grapes and raisins:
For some unknown reason, grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. Be careful with biscuits and other things which could contain these without you noticing.
Many dogs are lactose intolerant. Milk, cheese and ice cream can all lead to stomach pains and problems.
Dogs are even more sensitive to alcohol than children. A sniff of beer or wine could knock your puppy out.
Chocolate contains substances which can be fatal for dogs and should be avoided at all costs.
The high fat content can cause puppies serious stomach problems and their texture can cause too much to be swallowed at once, possibly leading to blocked intestines.
Leek, onion and garlic:
These can all damage dogs’ red blood cells, which can lead to anaemia.
Peaches and plums:
The fruit themselves aren’t dangerous but the stones pose a serious risk of choking or blocked intestines.
Not only are they high in fat, they can irritate dogs’ stomachs and can also be toxic.
Corn on the cob:
The corn itself is fine but the cobs are the perfect size to get stuck in a throat or intestine and are very hard to spot on x-rays and ultrasounds.
The stimulants in coffee can cause high blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, tremors and convulsions in dogs.
Sugar-free sweets or gum:
These contain xilitol, a sugar substitute which can make your dog’s insulin levels soar and cause serious problems.
Commercial white bread is high in fat and sugars and can cause pancreatitis. Schnauzers are particularly sensitive for some reason.