TUESDAY´S atrocities at the metro station and the airport left over 30 dead and hundreds wounded. About 61 people remain in a critical condition after 300 were injured and it is thought the death toll could rise further.
Belgian Health Minister, Maggie de Block said in a statement that the injured people were from 40 different nationalities and there are still 150 being treated in hospitals across Belgium.
Not dissimilar to a battlefield, many casualties are suffering from burns and shrapnel injuries and the death toll is being considered provisional.
Four patients remain in a coma and have not yet been identified. Two Belgians, a Peruvian woman, and an unidentified Moroccan woman were the first to be publicly confirmed dead.
A British man, David Dixon, and an American brother and sister are among people who are still missing from the capital. Earlier reports confirmed that two of the four attackers have been identified as brothers Khalid and Brahim el-Bakraoui.
The attack on Zaventem airport that killed 11 people was conducted by Brahim el-Bakraoui who blew himself up in the process. The other brother Khalid bombed the Maelbeek metro where 20 people died.
One attacker has died whilst another is on the run. The other two other attackers are yet to be named. There have been reports that one of the airport attackers was, in fact, wanted jihadist Najim Laachraoui, whose DNA was found on explosives linked to the bombings in Paris last year.
There have also been reports by Belgian broadcaster RTBF who have said a second person was believed to have been involved in the suicide attack on the metro, without giving further details.
Daesh have come forward to take responsibility for these barbaric murders. Ministers in Brussels are currently in crisis talks, discussing what the response to the attacks should be.
On Wednesday March 23 the King and Queen of Belgium visited the airport and met some of the people injured in the attacks.
A minute´s silence was held at midday.