Carnage in Homs and Damascus as Daesh bombs explode

0
© Bo yaser
Destruction in Homs.

ONE HUNDRED people have been killed in two bomb blasts in the Syrian cities of Homs and Damascus. 

On February 21 state media and official monitors confirmed that a double car bombing in Homs has killed at least 57 people, most of which were civilians. Some reports are putting the death toll as higher.  

Whilst in southern Damascus, there were a minimum of four bomb blasts which have killed at least another 50 people.

Daesh has claimed responsibility for the attacks in Damascus. These cities have previously both been targeted by the terrorist organisation. In Homs, the explosions occurred in the area where President al-Assad lives. Both attacks were in areas where minority Islamic groups are prevalent. 

Homs was one of the first places to revolt against President Assad and was once called the “capital of the revolution” but it was thought rebels had left the city last year. 

President Assad has said he wants to be remembered as the man who “saved” Syria.

Spanish newspaper El Pais asked Mr Assad where he sees himself in 10 years’ time and he replied: “If Syria is safe and sound, and I’m the one who saved his country – that’s my job now, that’s my duty.”

Mr Assad went on to say that his army was close to re-capturing rebel-held parts of the northern city of Aleppo, and his army was advancing on Raqqa, the main Daesh stronghold in Syria. 

He also said he was ready to propose a temporary truce as long as there were guarantees, that the “terrorists” would not use the truce to improve their position. 

LEAVE A COMMENT

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here