A football friendly scheduled for Tuesday November 17 in Brussels has been cancelled following a recommendation from the national crisis centre after the terror attacks in Paris.
A late night decision was reached just after midnight on Monday after the terrorist threat level was raised to three earlier in the evening. The threat level indicates a possible and credible threat and concerns heavily populated places according to the crisis centre.
“A visible and reinforced police presence was requested for all major events with increased awareness at each. All citizens are also requested to be vigilant,” the centre added.
Spanish coach Vicente Del Bosque spoke at a press conference before the decision to cancel the match was announced and he said that it would be important to go ahead with the game in defiance of terrorists.
“I am not scared,” he said. “We’re here to play a game and everything is going to be fine.”
He was asked about the possibility of a change in venue for next summer´s Euro 2016 tournament and added,
“I would like for it to be played in France; nobody should change the decision to play in a country, because that would be favouring those who sow terror.”