Jose Mourinho has been charged with misconduct by the FA after Saturday’s defeat to West Ham in the Premier League.
At half time the Chelsea manager went to referee Jon Moss’s room to speak to the official. He was subsequently sent to the stands for the rest of the game. The FA charged him over his behaviour and his language and his assistant Silvino Louro was also dismissed from the game and charged with misconduct.
The charge comes after a £25,000 (€34,000) fine Chelsea have received for being given more than five bookings in the match, with Cesc Fabregas and Diego Costa among the players to be booked.
Chelsea is also going to have to explain why Mourinho did not participate in the post match conference. The referee is preparing a report for the FA to give more details on why Mourinho was sent off.
It is the latest drama for the manager who was given a suspended stadium ban earlier in the month for saying officials were “afraid” to award Chelsea penalties.
An FA statement said: “Jose Mourinho has been charged with misconduct in relation to his language and/or behaviour towards the match officials in or around the dressing room area at half-time.”
The British media is reporting that Mourinho may be in jeopardy at Chelsea and has even reached out to other clubs in case he is sacked.
Paris Saint Germain and Internazionale are among the clubs the manager’s representatives are said to have begun looking into as a backup for Mourinho. PSG could be an interesting move for the manager as it would create the possibility for him to become the second ever manager after Tomislav Ivic to win leagues in five different countries.