Motor Insurance – some basic questions answered

DRIVE HAPPY: Ibex have the knowledge to advise you about the best insurance options.

Driving another vehicle:
One of the most often asked questions is whether a policyholder can drive another vehicle on their insurance in Spain and the answer is usually NO. It is the vehicle that is insured, not the person.
In Spain the vehicle is normally insured in the name of the owner and is generally for any driver with a full valid EU licence and the level of cover is not affected by who drives the car – if it is comprehensive for the policyholder, then it is comprehensive for any other driver who is covered under the terms of the policy. There are a few insurers, like Ibex Insurance, that may offer a discounted premium for restricting drivers or apply age limits for certain vehicles.

Cover available:
Fully Comprehensive, Third Party, Fire & Theft and Third Party Only covers are available depending on the age and value of the vehicle. Most insurers in Spain will not offer Fully Comprehensive cover for new policies where the car is over 15 years old, although if you have comprehensive cover before the car reaches that age they will normally continue to offer comprehensive for as long as you own that vehicle and maintain that policy.

You must carry your vehicle and personal documents – driving licence, evidence of payment of the circulation tax (Permiso de circulacion), Spanish MOT card (Tarjeta and Certificado ITV), log book (ficha tecnica), certificate of insurance (for UK vehicles), Green Card and copy of the receipt.
For further up-to-date information you can refer to

What to do if you have an accident:
In the event of an accident, you need to complete a European Accident Statement form together with the other driver and if you do not have one of these documents in your car you can obtain one from your broker or insurer. Even if the Guardia Civil is called and they are to prepare a Police Report, you still need to complete the form and both drivers have to sign it for their respective insurers. Ideally you should take photographs of the incident then look for any witnesses before any vehicle is moved. If there is any injury or if the road is blocked because either or both of the vehicles cannot be moved you MUST call the emergency number 112.
To discuss your motor insurance requirements just call into one of the Ibex offices in Camposol (Mazarron), Ciudad Quesada (Rojales) or La Zenia (Orihuela Costa).
Julie and Clare (Mazarron) on 968 595 945, Andrea, Carol and Michele (Quesada) on 966 719 951, Jamie and Tracy (La Zenia) on 966 761 575.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here