Update: Rescue team says hundreds likely to have died in capsized migrant boat

0
© wikimedia.org

SEARCH and rescue crews have said they don’t expect to find any more survivors from the fishing boat that capsized on Wednesday (August 5) in the Mediterranean, while carrying hundreds of migrants.

The operation has rescued around 400 people from the packed vessel, but around 200 more are believed to have died. There are reports that 100 people may have been crammed into the hull of the ship, with none expected to have survived.

The recovery of 25 bodies had been confirmed by Thursday morning, with a spokesperson for the UN’s refugee agency UNHCR saying: “We believe that the boat was carrying about 600 people, but we will never really know how many sunk.” 

LEAVE A COMMENT

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here