BRITISH tourists returning to the UK after being evacuated from Tunisia are expressing their anger at the measure, accusing the British government of giving in to terrorists.
On Thursday, July 9, the Foreign Office suggested that all Britons in the country (believed to have been about 3,000), where 38 tourists were shot in a tourist area recently, left immediately reporting that another attack by ISIS was ‘highly likely’.
Yet as they began to arrive back on British soil many stated that they felt the government had overreacted, leading Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond to speak out and say his decision had been well thought-out and certainly not a knee-jerk reaction.
Apart from the fact their holidays had been cut short, and they are unlikely to get money back, tourists spoke of the crippling effect the measure is having on the area, which gets a lot of its income from tourism. In fact hotel workers have been told they will be out of jobs as establishments prepare to close, passengers arriving in the UK reported.
Meanwhile Tunisian Prime Minister Habib Essid spoke of his anger at the British government’s reaction and intended to speak to David Cameron.
“I will ring the British PM to tell him we have done all we can to protect British interests and those of other countries, it’s our duty,” he said.
Nabil Ammar, Tunisian ambassador to London, also said Britain had given in and done exactly what jihadists wanted.
“By damaging tourism and making foreigners leave they have damaged the whole sector and put people out of work and on the streets,” he stated.
Tour operator Thomas Cook has cancelled all bookings to the country until October 31.