Gandia accused of unfair beach bar bidding process

0
Flickr: Yasmina Haryono
GANDIA council in beach bar concessions row.

GANDIA has begun the bidding process for the 10-year operation of beach bars without a final permit from the Coastal Authority, an agency of the Ministry of Environment.
The municipal government has a provisional license covering one year for these kiosks, but not ten.
Councillor Javier Reig admitted that the city had not yet received coastal authorisation, but pointed out that no irregularity had been committed as the bidding process had only just started.
The beach bars are scheduled to open from the first week of June according to the deadlines set in the notice of the tender, which ends on June 1 before the inauguration of the new contracts.
The award procedure is to be opened by public auction. The current government has changed the format of the bars, which are to be bigger and with better infrastructure and facilities, licensed to open 365 days a year.
Socialist spokesperson Vicent Mascarell contends that on the eve of the municipal elections, the council is trying to award the management of bars by a process of urgent allocation leaving little time for others concerned eligible for such concessions to apply. “This blatantly benefits the current concessionaires, friends and businessmen granted an extension at zero cost,” he said.
Compromís claims that the beach bar concessions are apportioned to benefit only large companies. “The trader must find €130,000 before June 1 to foot the costs of the kiosks and smaller companies would find it difficult to compete with larger competitors on equal terms,” said Compromis councillor Lorena Milvaques.
Reig responded by commenting that the council has negotiated with three banks to enable loans to be granted to companies without the necessary finance in place.




LEAVE A COMMENT

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here