Man killed by gas explosion


A MAN died and another five people were injured in an explosion in a block of flats in Barcelona early this morning, Thursday December 11.

Emergency services were informed of the explosion, suspected to have been caused by a butane gas container, just after 5.30am and upon arrival at the scene found the body of a 70-year-old man inside a flaming ground floor flat.

Firemen confined residents of the upper storeys of the five floor building to their homes while flames were extinguished to avoid inhalation of smoke and fumes.


The building was evacuated at 7am once the fire had been put out and five people, including a fireman, were taken to Mollet hospital for treatment to minor injuries.

As the lower floors suffered structural damage from the explosion, the council is working to find accommodation for the affected families until repairs are made. 


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here